Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Visa Types – Lawful Permanent Resident Spouse And Child – V-1, V-2, V-3

In addition to eligibility for a permanent visa under the family second preference, the alien spouse and children of a permanent U.S. resident are eligible for nonimmigrant visas, designated V-1, V-2, and V-3 visas. The V series is designed to allow qualifying aliens to wait in the U.S. for their permanent immigrant visas to be issued. Aliens applying for V visas must have petitions for immigrant visas pending.

Who Is Eligible?

There are a few basic requirements relating to the parties’ relationship and the timing of the events that must be met for aliens to be eligible for V visas.


To be eligible for nonimmigrant V visas, the alien seeking temporary admission must either be the spouse or child of a lawful permanent resident (LPR). Additionally, the derivative children of V-1 and V-2 aliens are eligible for V-3 visas.

Relative Petition Existence And Date Of Filing

The LPR must have filed a petition for an alien relative on or before December 21, 2000.

Waiting Period

The relative petition must have been pending at least three years. It also must either not have been approved or must have been approved but without any available visa numbers or without a concluded application to adjust status or for an immigrant visa.


Some aliens are always ineligible for visas, including those who practice polygamy; who have certain communicable diseases; who traffic in drugs; and who advocate the overthrow of the U.S. government. The submission of fraudulent documents also disqualifies an alien from obtaining a visa. If a waiver of any of these ineligibilities might apply, the consular officer will advise the alien.

How Do I Apply?

Inside the U.S., an eligible alien should file an application to change nonimmigrant status and its supplement. There is an application fee associated with filing this document. Additionally, aliens between the ages of 14 and 79 must pay a fee for fingerprinting, and all applicants must have a medical examination. Outside the U.S., an alien seeking a V visa should contact the U.S. consulate or embassy for instructions on how to apply.

What Are The Terms Of My Stay?

May I Work?

A V visa holder is eligible to apply for a work permit through the USCIS where he or she lives.

May I Travel Outside The U.S.?

V visa holders may travel outside the U.S. and return using their unexpired nonimmigrant visas if their visas were issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate. However, if V nonimmigrant status was granted inside the U.S., its holder must obtain a V visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate before returning to the U.S. If a V nonimmigrant has filed an application to adjust status or to register permanent residence, he or she need not obtain advance parole before traveling outside the U.S.

Copyright 2012 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc.

State Certified Specialists
Robert Beles - State Certified Criminal Law Specialist
Anne Beles - State Certified Criminal Law Specialist
Paul McCarthy - State Certified Appellate Law Specialist
Emilio Parker - State Certified Immigration Law Specialist
California Board of Legal Specialization

    Free Consultation - Online Form

    All fields marked with * are required.

    Se Habla Español

    Contact us for a free consultation: (510) 836‑0100
    Let our experience work for you. We can help!

    Very Pleased with Robert’s Services

    "Robert Beles and his team are straightening out my matters that the San Francisco public defender left in shambles. I had to be patient and wait for court dates and for judges to rule in my favor. Thanks to Robert and his team my future looks much better and my record is clean."


    Beles Law Office Can Handle Anything in the Criminal Law World

    "Robert has been practicing many many years and can handle anything. My experience with them has been great."

    Mike M.

    Super Lawyers California State Bar Preeminent Lawyers California Board of Legal Specialization National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
    California Attorneys for Criminal Justice Avvo Rating 10.0 - Robert J. Beles AILA Best of Oakland Winner
    Office Locations

    Oakland Office
    The Ordway Building
    1 Kaiser Plaza - Suite 2300
    Oakland, CA 94612
    Phone: (510) 836-0100
    Fax: 510-832-3690

    Hayward Office
    22320 Foothill Blvd.
    Hayward, CA 94541
    Phone: (510) 836-0100

    Fremont Office
    39560 Stevenson Place - St 217
    Fremont, CA 94536
    Phone: (510) 745-7755

    Pleasanton Office
    4900 Hopyard Rd. - Suite 100
    Pleasanton, CA 94588
    Phone: (925) 460-5400

    Walnut Creek Office
    2121 N. California Blvd
    Walnut Creek, CA 94507
    Phone: (925) 460-5400

    San Jose
    2880 Zanker Road, Suite 203
    San Jose, CA 95134
    Phone: (510) 836-0100

    Contact Us Office Directions

    Credit Cards and Payment Plans Accepted
    Translate »